Sustainable Community Development
An online class offered
by the University of Maryland's Institute for Governmental Service and Research.
This class emphasizes community-level decisions to solve sustainability problems. It suggests practical, grassroots methods to plan, organize, evaluate, and adjust actions to advance community sustainability. And it provides a path for Maryland's municipalities to become certified as sustainable jurisdictions.
Upon completion of this virtual class, you will be able to:
- Define sustainable community development (SCD)
- Identify opportunities for sustainability in local communities.
- Understand the three overlapping systems involved in sustainable community development, and how they relate to each other.
- Understand what local communities are doing about sustainability.
- Identify resources to help municipalities plan for development.
- Describe processes for initiating, managing, and evaluating sustainable development.
- Understand how Maryland municipalities can become certified as sustainable jurisdictions.
- Understand the benefits for a community to become Sustainable Maryland Certified.